Sunday, July 1, 2012

#69 some translation works / borrowed poetry

Tomorrow I start my final posting before my fourth year exam. And in Tuesday I had a major test in ObGyn, a favourite subject - but anything can happen. "Chaotic" does not even begin to describe what I'm feeling.

On the other hand I have translated some of the texts from my lieder cycle (you can see the video, among other things, here) into Italian, specifically lieder #1, #4, #5 and #6. Enjoy:

I
Quanto vento! mormorante
come un bel fior, che chiama
una tempesta.


Vedi con me! la luna,
ondulante, sorridente,
coi stelli innumerevole
in notte brillante.


IV
Ascolta il grido e il furor! La Santissima Stella
coi mille diamante sull'ali rosse ascende il firmamento!
e nata del sue piume: una bellissima,
beata vergine, ben-adorata della Terra!


Beata bellissima della vecchia razza divina.
Quella sembianza! una faccia senza minaccia,
lucente e rilucente! è lucente sempre,
gran'luce infinita!


Ma deh, ahimè! beata bellissima piange della sua peccata
in vedente il taglio della vita.
Ma vedi ancora, la pallida faccia:
la luna, bianchissima, sola sulla seta nera.


V
Ah! vieni a me, infelice cor,
bel giovanotto e bella signorina
chi è perduto, abbandonato,
chi è deserto da tutto, anche del sol.


Tu che di gel sei cinta,
vestiti in buio l'oscurità
coi la luna e un bianca stella
e sette cente strege dannata!


Ascolta di me! il giorno finirà
dopo la millesima ora.
Ascolta ben! tu sai nulla
che tua vita dissiperà.


Vieni a me, infelice cor!
t'affretta allor, in pronto.
Vieni in nudità di peccato tuo e di passato.
Siedi qui con me allora, per l'eternità.


VI
Era già finita la notte ventosa:
arriverà certamente all'alba,
la fiammiera stella:
Vedi in ciel, allora!
gl'occhi del giorno, il re solar!


I have also translated Pablo Neruda's sonnet XCI Amor mío, si muero y tú no mueres into Malay. I guess I was pretty inspired by Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's singing of the Neruda Songs. I had the recordings since two years ago, and though it was rarely played in my iPod rotation every time I heard the final song I always teared up. The translation pretty much corresponds to the melody of the song, which you could hear here (please note the performer is NOT Miss Hunt).

Amor mío, si muero y tú no mueres,
no demos al dolor más territorio:
amor mío, si mueres y no muero,
no hay extensión como la que vivimos.
Polvo en el trigo, area en las arenas
el tiempo, el agua errante, el viento vago
nos llevó como grano navegante.
Pudimos no encontrarnos en el tiempo.
Esta pradera en que nos encontramos,
oh pequeño infinito! devolvemos.
Pero este amor, amor, no ha terminado,
y así como no tuvo nacimiento
no tiene muerte, es como un largo río,
sólo cambia de tierras y de labios.
[Credits to Pablo NERUDA]

Oh sayangku, jika ku pergi dulu,
jangan kau tangiskan ketiadaanku:
kasih, jika kau tiada buatku,
hidup tanpamu tiada kan bermakna.
Debuan hama, pasir bertaburan,
tiap saat, titisan embun, hembusan bayu,
dan kita, bagai debunga berterbangan.
Tiada lagi masa kan kita berjumpa.
Di taman tempat pertemuan kita,
oh pulangkanlah! detik-detik kehilangan.
Dan cinta ini, sayang, takkan kesudahan,
tiada hujung ataupun permulaan
kan berkekalan, bagaikan air menderu,
cuma bertukar negeri dan nama.

I guess it is not a literal translation but rather a transliteration, but the gist and the intention of the text are very much replicated, I think. I detest translation works which are devoid of the personalities of the translators themselves - but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment